Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The more I travel...

...The more I realize how amazing the USA is.
Let me be straight here....
I have been pretty harsh on US policies,
mostly reflecting the past 8 years,
and actually the past 60 years of America.
So much wasted potential...so much needless
suffering that just creates more suffering.

BUT...
Ive been traveling around lately, and Im
coming to realize just how great we have it back home.
I speak for Europe too.
Especially as conscious eaters, we are so fortunate
to live in countries where we can actually buy
healthy stuff. If you travel to SE asia,
you pretty much have to throw your organic standards
right out the plane window before you land.

Its just not going to happen. Ive had to really
make adjustments here, and I cannot tell you
how great it will be to drink green smoothies again.

We went to a juice bar today, and their idea of "juice"
was blended carrots with water in a half-assed blender.
We talked them into making an avocado-mango smoothie,
but had to tell them TWICE not to dump sugar in it like
they usually do. Seriously. We had a coconut water
at a restaurant today, and you could totally tell
that they put syrup in it. WHAT THE HELL???

I dont mean to nitpick, but yeesh....we've got it good back home.
The idea of them blending up a coconut with a mango
is totally lost on them. They want to dump some carton
of juice in it, or add water or blend in ice.

In thailand, they werent even using fresh coconuts
in some of the dishes, they were using canned coconut milk.

Am I alone here? Dawn had a pasta yesterday,
and they dumped cheese all over it when she asked them not
to, and when she asked for "tomatoes" instead,
they gave her a dish of ketchup. GOD!!!

It was funny and not funny at the same time.

When you travel out of your element, you
have to expect that things arent going to be perfect.

These places COULD be tropical paradises,
clean of garbage and covered in tropical fruit trees,
but until then...I just dont know when Ill be back.

I think Im going to stay home for quite a while
and just focus on making the garden better,
and visiting California in June for Raw Spirit,
and maybe make a road trip out of it.

Traveling is great and all, but I feel like the money
and sacrifices involved might be too much if you are
trying to stay pesticide and carcinogen free.

What do you think? I know many of you travel on here.
There is a balance that you have to be comfy with
if you do intend to leave your raw organic comfort zone.

I wonder what David Wolfe does... Would he even come here?
Would he eat the mangosteens if he wasnt sure they were organic?
Would he just live on superfoods as he traveled?
He doesnt even drink bottled water anymore as far as I know,
so then this place would be totally out of the question unless
he located a spring somewhere.

Maybe I need to go to Hawaii instead?

I miss the raw high. I miss it so much.
I had moments where I was so blissed out
and clear, I couldnt believe that I wasnt on
some sort of mood-elevating drug.
It was that intense. I havent felt that way
for a while, and I cant even describe how I
yearn to get back there.

So for all of you lucky ones out there
close to your vitamix and your abundant source
of organic greens...BLEND ONE FOR ANTHONY!!!

Pics coming soon...

Oh yeah, I had a durian today, and it blew my mind.

12 months since a fresh one...the creaminess is unmatched...

Now to find some GREENS.

Anthony

Sharethis