Monday, November 26, 2007

The Future


Raw Food - The Choice of the New Generation

This was about half of the group...the pic being taken at the very end of the night.
Why arent all raw-food potlucks like this??? I had the best time ever. Just to see everyone
there talking and having a great time was the biggest joy for me.
It was just so...YOUTHFUL. Good looking raw foodists everywhere. Life can be this good!

My transition struggle would likely have been non-existent if not severely reduced if I would have had these types of get-togethers when I first started. I did raw food pretty much completely alone for 2.5 years....it can be really isolating. This changes everything now.

I can only hope that everyone else had such a fun time. Participation in the raw food community is likely the key to making the switch and not feeling lonely or strange or crazy. We are social animals, whether we want to believe it or not, and if we have some others nearby who we can talk to and console...we've made such a huge leap forward.

But that being said...I tried to go to other events, and of course...the crowd was MUCH "wiser" if you know what I mean. Is "wiser" even a good word? I mean...I look at that pic of young people above and I see individuals who are REALLY wise...not buying into the SAD diet for decades. Those young people pictured above are the forerunners...people ENJOYING a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Its about pleasure....its the only way we will succeed. Putting ourselves through pain in order to succeed will simply not work. Its the pleasure principle...duh. You have to enjoy what you are doing in order for it to work in the long run....and with these group of young people and the food that was there...who could have possibly had a bad time?

Big thanks always to Dhru and Philip for pulling this together and bringing such amazing friends to this event. Let this be the first of many.

And if you arent in NYC...remember...this is the example. You can do the same.
Don't feel bad for excluding older people...this is for us.
We are the minority of probably the smallest minority in the present world.
We have our other events with the whole community, but I think these young raw-foodie meetups are what will keep us going and accelerate our growth.

GOOD TIMES!!!

Much love always,

Anthony




3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi anthony,

i just want to share how inspired and heartened my partner and i have been from your blog, and by some of the content of this post. but there is a message here in this post that doesn't quite sit well with me, and i felt i should share it (partly because, i have felt so connected to the rest of what you have said...)

i understand the want to be around "youth" however, whenever you start to draw any boundaries around age, there are problems with how that is defined.

for instance... i'm a 24 year old raw foodie in need of raw, youthful energy community (however, i do not live in an urban area - in a rural one, so that existing community is already further defined),

but really my dish is... what does youth really mean, especially when you enter the gauntlet of those experienced with raw foods? those who are in their 40's and 50's, can contain the same "youthful" energy and looks, appearing to others 10-15-20 years younger by physicality and energy than their "real" age numbers reveal.

my partner is one such example, always confusing and astounding my friends when they discover his age is 41...when they expected him to be closer to a peer (someone in their late 20's or early 30's...still youth, right?) - and upon reading your post, it honestly had a tone that would cause me to second-guess bringing my partner to an event of yours - so - i encourage you to further define, and think about, this "excluding older people" statement, because that's the one that got to me, and i feel is full of landmines : )

much love,
allisun

Rose said...

Sounds like you had a good time! I wish I could have gone to something like that. I just met up with some folks who are getting togethe every month to do a raw food potluck, but of course they are older, no one around my age. But its still nice to have that support and know that other people feel the same way you do. But like you said, it is hard when all your friends think you're crazy for being on such a "extreme" diet, it is pretty isolating. Thanks for all your posts, I'm always encouraged when reading them and I can always get some good tips too!!

Rosanna

Erik Dalzen said...

Nerts man! Glad to hear you are doing well and going strong in your diet. I am intrigued, but still trying to figure things out about being raw.

Sharethis