Monday, July 27, 2009

A letter from Collette

Its been a few months now since I started adding
back fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir) and eggs...(usually raw in smoothies)
and all is well. No mucus from the fermented dairy, no sluggish feelings.
No pimples either. All the anti-dairy people need to learn about
raw, grass-fed milk before they generalize.

One of the big arguments I hear about the use of animal products
is the environmental impact...this REALLY needs to be clarified.

First, we are used to all animal products coming from factory farms.
These animals are fed grains, which are completely unnatural for them,
since they are ruminants and supposed to graze grass. They are injected
with antibiotics and hormones, and eat GMO foods and other foods
sprayed with pesticides. Let me assure you that no one is washing their
food for these poor souls before they eat it.

This way of raising food is hellish. I feel that those participating
in these operations are enslaved by greed and have lost a decent
part of their humanity. The complete lack of respect for life crushes me.

I would never give my money to these people, and would
do whatever is in my power to convince others to do likewise.

I get my products from biodynamic farmers and those who
treat their animals with respect. The animals eat vegetable scraps,
grass, and bugs. Steve Storch feeds the stalks of brussel sprouts to his
Scottish Highlander cows and they absolutely love it.

These animals are playing a positive role in the ecosystem.
Their manure goes into compost, which nourishes the soil.
Whereas in factory farms, where it will usually seep into rivers
and the aquifers below.

These grass fed animals are processing excess biomass, turning it
into useable materials. What is wrong with that? We simply
can't generalize...there is a huge difference in these two methods,
both in environmental impact and nutrition.
PLEASE...learn about the omega 3 and 6 ratios in grass fed
compared to grain fed animals...this is HUGE.

When people simply say that animal products are detrimental,
well...what KIND of animal products?
I will bet that all the animal products eaten in
THE CHINA STUDY was from animals eating
cheap grains. No doubt. Does T. Colin Campbell mention this?
We have to be big kids and read between the lines here.
Dr Nick Gonzalez has said that a cow raised on grain and a
cow raised on grass shouldnt even be considered the same species.
The chemical makeup of their whole system is completely different.
What does 99% of the western world eat when it comes to animal products?
GRAIN FED.

That topic aside...how "green" is it to drink coconut milk here in the US?
That is a staple of many ethical vegans who claim they are conscious
about these things, yet there is a total disconnect. Dipped in fungicide,
shipped about twelve thousand miles across the Pacific Ocean,
and usually grown under oppressive conditions.
I've been to Thailand, and they are not being paid well, trust me.

Even more obvious is the packaged coconut water. There, we are adding
in all the energy used to get that coconut water into a package
and THEN ship it, so it can eventually end up in the garbage.
I mean...come on.

thai coconut blended with durian (both thai), and spirulina (from india),
and I added in some raw cacao (from Peru) and almonds (from Spain).
What is the ecological impact of this meal? Yikes!

Dont get me wrong, I have definitely drank my share,
but I am done claiming the green virtues of the vegan diet.
Locavorism and supporting natural farmers is FAR more
crucial than simply eating tropical fruits and superfoods from
all over the planet. I am dumbfounded how that slipped past
the radar of so many ethical (green) vegans.

*Sidenote*
I want to support organic farmers across the world.
Farmers in Peru growing sustainable cacao should have
people to sell their products to. We just have to be conscious
about all the shipping going on. Support who you feel is worth it.
However, I bought these product in the countries where they were produced,
and they are far cheaper. Middlemen are making a lot of $$$.

Cows, goats, and chickens are not bad for the planet.
They have done far less damage than us humans.
They are simply USED by humans in bad situations,
and we can easily forget that they can provide so many positive things.

Here is a letter from a reader that I just received.
I would highly suggest reading the books she mentions.

Hi Anthony,
I've just been reading your blog for the first time in a year or so and am so happy to have read this. I was watching your YT vids early last year when I started my nutrition journey, but soon found the work of Weston A Price and realized this was a better path for me. I really do truly believe that an omnivorous diet with a balance of wild foods and biodynamic/grassfed/lowtech domesticated foods is the way too go. You are on a good path and I commend you since I have noticed some vegans are so hugely resistant to new ideas.

Some good sources you might be able to slowly go through at your own pace, "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith (so much more than a nutrition book, a complete manifesto on civilisation, agriculture, the nature of life etc... this blows my brain), "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston Price, "Nourishing Traditions" by Sallon Fallon, "Cure Tooth Decay" and "Healing Our Children" by Ramiel Nagel, "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Ellix Katz.... Derrick Jensen, Joel Salatin, Paul Chek.

You are right with the observation that a vegan diet often does not make for healthy bubs. The development of the bone structure, especially of the head, is compromised. I empathize with vegans and vegetarians, but I think there comes a point when we have to quietly accept that human beings are not living in tree tops in the tropics. We've long since explored and wondered to the corners of the globe in all sorts of harsh conditions, our brains growing all the time.... able to fill so many different niches. If humans were meant to be vegans, how did Eskimos survive and thrive? Masai Africans? Aboriginal Australians? Siberian Reindeer Herders?

Living off goji berries, raw cacao, maca and 'superfoods' shipped all over the planet is not the height of human experience and not ecological.

Enjoy the learning process though. We're all on a journey with new things unfolding all the time. Don't rush yourself. Especially be wary that long term veganism can reduce your ability to manufacture Cholecystokinin, so eating animal foods can actually make you feel very sick as it will literally sit in your stomach. This might confirm in your mind animal foods are bad for you and repel you from trying again. It has to be a slow process to retrain your enzymes.

This has really inspired me. I always love to see people willing to change and grow and reconsider, especially when you've built up a community or identity around something- it really takes courage and spirit. All the best to you!

Take care from Australia,
Collette

So what do you think? Im sorry if this is confusing to some of you.
The rabbit hole DOES go deep.
The most wonderful part of this is that we are conscious eaters.
We just need to KEEP learning and expanding, and not
be haulted by vegan, and raw vegan booksellers and vendors.

Open your mind, read OTHER stuff besides raw,
and then come to your own conclusion.

People say goats milk is the perfect food...for baby goats.
Tell that to a 7ft Massai man that has been thriving off of that
his whole life. We need to explore more.

Look at your ancestral diet. We are all different.
I am Swedish and Dark-Irish, so what is working for me
might not work for you. We can't be pulled into the idea
that one style of eating is best for everyone.

Raw veganism cleaned me out and got me back to baseline again.
I am so happy I went through what I did, now Im rebuilding.



Watch if you have time...totally worth it.
EVOLUTION.


Sharethis