Sunday, September 16, 2007

Living the G(reen)ood Life


Green is the New Black

I really do hope that all this green hype isn't just some fad. At this point, I really doubt it because we are facing environmental challenges like never before. Also, now with the help of both technology and ancient wisdom, being green is easy, hip, and actually really cheap.

Here is my breakfast above - A fresh Cantaloupe Smoothie made from locally grown cantaloupe. I take off the outer skin with a carrot/potato peeler, then blend the flesh and the seeds in the blender until its silky smooth. The cantaloupe had some minor blemishes, so I was able to buy it for $1. Half of it went into this smoothie. I'm no math genius (by choice), but I'm pretty sure that is a 50 cent breakfast pictured right there.

We have to wake up about how much energy goes into making and shipping and cooking our food. We use more oil per person on food each year than we do for transportation. To me that is mind-boggling, but when you add it all up it really makes sense. Support local farmers either by joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, shopping at your local farmer's market, befriending a farmer if you live further out and buying directly from them, or best of all...GROW YOUR OWN. By far the best, and the most rewarding. My garden is two weeks old now and it is flourishing. Why? Good soil, and tender love and caring. I check them every day and make sure I take care of any little critters living under their leaves. Check it out...this is day 14:

Its a great hobby, it brings vibrant life into your existence, and provides you with the freshest organic vegetables and fruit possible. Right now there are 3 varieties of Kale, 2 Varieties of Winter Broccoli, Arugula, 2 Types of Collards, and a great strain of Lettuce that loves cold weather. Gardening is not just a spring-summer activity my friends...this can go ALL YEAR LONG. Start planting now! Its never too late!

I absolutely love it. The more I do it, the more I realize that I was meant to do this.

You know that feeling...when you are doing something that you love, you are totally focused on it...in the zone. Not thinking of anything else...completely in the now. That is the feeling I get. I cant wait to do more next spring. I can't recommend it enough, and probably everyone reading this has more space than I do.

More on the green life to come in part 2: Bicycles, Vintage Clothing, and more on gardening.

Keep it raw...one green smoothie a day plus lots of fruit and make a great salad for dinner. Two weeks of this and you will know....

Im powerwalking late at night these days as well, and it has made a huge difference. If you are in the Gramercy area and see some strange fellow powerwalking at 2am, it just might be me. Hell, of course its me. No one else is crazy enough to be out there at 2am. Keep an eye peeled.

Keep it real (exciting)

Rawmodel

No comments:

Sharethis